A reader asked me to comment further about the field of becoming where manifestation first begins.
From the larger context of this blog, there is pure Divinity, the source of the source. The afterglow of Divinity is Brahman. In Brahman, the first Shakti’s express as alertness, liveliness, and intelligence. When liveliness stirs alertness, it becomes conscious, then becomes self-aware and self-interactive.
Alive self-aware consciousness is often considered the source. It is the beginning of becoming and the first kosha or “sheath.” It’s self-interaction creates the subtle space of creation. But this space of consciousness is still too abstract for manifestation. Consciousness observes a point of itself and creates the first nested space. Then what we’d normally call space arises. (Don’t worry if this doesn’t make much sense. It is beyond abstraction.)
Lets explore the various qualities and descriptions of this first nested space.
1) Space first manifests – the quality and element.
2) This kosha or layer is called Anandamaya because it’s a field of bliss. The liveliness of consciousness has begun to manifest as a fine vibration we subjectively experience as bliss.
3) Refined sight can see this fine vibration as a vast ocean of vibration with waves and colour. “There is an ocean of vast proportion and she flows, within ourselves.” – Donovan
4) Space element corresponds with hearing. We can also hear this vibration. The sound is known as the Pranava. (note prana = life force) It may be heard as a deep AUUUM or as a high pitched sound some mistake for tinnitus.
We may also experience this as the entire body vibrating. This is experiencing the body being recreated in every moment. (Although there are other reasons we can feel vibration in the body.)
5) The above can imply it is the vehicle for prana, the life energy that runs through us. We literally live in an ocean of life.
6) The 7 universal chakras first arise on this level, then express forward through the layers into apparently individual forms. The 7 chakras establish the 7 layers in the physiology and direct the life force into the form.
7) The point of consciousness that creates the nested space of this layer is connected to source by a sutra or thread. This connected point gives rise to our universe. In its seed form, as viewed from the outside, this looks like a golden egg, hiranya garbha. Interacting with the ocean of vibration, the appearance of the world arises.
From the perspective of creation in the prior kosha, the many universes in creation appear like a necklace around source. Or like a decorative belt on the cosmic body, the body of all bodies.
8) This is also known as the causal level, the level of first principles. It is a level of templates or seed ideas that give rise to the forms of the world that follow.
9) Some call this layer the celestial because it’s where the laws of nature for our universe live, along with various lokas (nested spaces, worlds) we’d call heavens. Archangels and other higher beings live in these sub-spaces.
On this level, such beings are clouds of light, although they may take an appearance to communicate with you.
10) In the levels of speech, this is called Pashyanti. Being able to “speak” from here massively increases the potency of mantra, intentions, and so forth.
11) This is also the level of “ritam.”
After awakening, the intellect* shifts from being associated with our mind to being associated with stable inner awareness. The intellect becomes resolute.
This then allows the fine intellect to discriminate the process of becoming. Ritam is a reference to (Yoga Sutra 1:48) Ritam Bhara Pragyan, consciousness that accepts only truth. This level is beyond the filters and qualifications of the mind and emotions. It is a clear field on which we can experience the process behind the appearance. (Although appearances are also layered: all of this is an appearance in consciousness.)
* in the next most manifest level of structure, the intellect = sacred geometry, relationship, subtle structure, and yantra.
12) The above relates directly with the connection between name and form. Name is the sound that creates a specific form. Experiencing on this level is being able to experience the fundamental nature of all forms and their frequency signature, soul song, or “true name.”
13) There is a style of experience possible on this level called Cognition. A cognition is a total experience of the object. This includes its appearance from all angles and in all time, its nature and origins, and all the above. I explore the types of cognition here.
Cognition has a key role in enlivening cosmic memories, awakening laws of nature, and evolving the universe as a whole.
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi said that everyone can realize but only some cognize.
The core Vedas are encoded cognitions. Because they’re written in Sanskrit, a language where name and form are connected, it’s possible to listen to the spoken meter on this level and experience something of what the original seer experienced. This is to the degree of our ability – as a memory or as a cognition, for example.
Refining perception to include the bliss body adds extensive qualities and understanding.
Last Updated on September 29, 2022 by Davidya