A couple of years ago, before I started the blog, I ordered a great movie called “One, the Movie“. It began around 20 “ultimate” questions on such subjects as suffering and God. A novice filmmaker named Ward Powers and a couple of friends set out to interview some people and get their take on these big questions of life. Along the way, they were referred to some of our times great thinkers and soon the project grew much larger.
While I found the “backstory” a little lame, the interviews include a remarkably diverse range of speakers, from street people to a number of great minds. Better known names include Thich Nhat Hanh, Father Thomas Keating, Ram Dass, Deepak Chopra, Barbara Marx Hubbard, and Robert Thurman.
For a long time, the film has been seen only in small venues where discussion and context was possible. They did not seek theatrical distribution.
Recently, the film has seen a great deal more attention as its currently been offered as the free introductory flick to the Spiritual Cinema Circle. This is a monthly spiritual video subscription service – a great service if you’re a film fan.
Not sure if the SCC version includes the DVD extras, like the full Thurman stare (laughs). The web site:
The site has some clips from the film but no longer has the 20 questions and the ability to supply your own answers. (of course I did (laughs)) The film itself is not focused on the questions so much as the theme that arose in the commonality of all the answers. That we are One. (question 20)
Because it does give a sense of what started the film, here are the original questions. I would not say they are all answered by the film. There is simply not the time. But there are some amazing responses and remarkable insights.
1) Why is there poverty and suffering in the world?
2) What is the relationship between science and religion?
3) Why are so many people depressed?
4) What are we so afraid of?
5) When is war justifiable?
6) How would God want us to respond to aggression and terrorism?
7) How does one obtain true peace?
8)- What does it mean to live in the present moment?
9) What is our greatest distraction?
10) Is current Religion serving its purpose?
11) What happens to you after you die?
12) Describe Heaven and how to get there.
13) What is the meaning of life?
14) Describe God.
15) What is the greatest quality humans possess?
16) What is it that prevents people living to their full potential?
17) non-verbally, act out the current condition of the world.
18)- What is your one wish for the world
19) What is wisdom and how do we gain it?
20) Are we all One?
Do you have the answers?
Last Updated on April 27, 2018 by Davidya