The Appearance of the Doers

The deeper you go, the less localized and more universal you get. For example, most experience their body, emotions, and thoughts as local and personal. But as you touch deeper into fine feelings, intuition, and bliss you find them more expansive and less personal. And yet, these more universal values may also feel more intimate as they’re closer to your true Self.

We can also look at this another way, through the elements. Earth is very specific, water has a little less distinctive edges, fire even more so. Each is less localized. Ditto the lower 3 chakras. But as you move to air and space, boundaries are perceived much less and we experience ourselves as in them rather than separate from them.

As our perception refines, we notice these subtler values much more directly. Soon we discover that life is plentiful in these layers too. Yet this life is not living in an earthly form with distinct boundaries like our body. They’re much less defined.

Just consider the mind for example. We create whole worlds in the dreaming mind that have no physical substance. In the same way, a life form on that level is more like a cloud than a defined object. And yet they can appear as they choose. Perhaps it’s useful if they appear to us in a way we can relate to, for example.

Further, our expectations (thought forms) can have an influence on how they appear. Some such beings are more influenced by expectations. Or they allow their appearance to be what the perceiver wishes. I call this personalization.

Just think of the appearance as like a set of virtual clothing.

It’s fine to personalize your experience of subtle beings but if we’re unaware of this dynamic, we can be misled by appearances. Appearances don’t tell us the nature of the being. This is also why it’s rather meaningless to debate what angels or other beings are supposed to look like. That’s like saying your dreams are supposed to look a certain way.

Most fascinating though is doership. Most people are living under the impression they are the doers. To sustain its sense of being in control, ego claims actions for itself, saying I did this, I was responsible, mine.

When we wake up to our nature as the Self, this identification falls away and we realize we are not the doer. We are the experiencer or observer, watching life unfold. Doing simply happens.

The question can then arise – what then is doing the doing? Where are my thoughts and emotions and experiences coming from?

The answer depends a great deal on refined perception. If it’s been unfolding already, we’ll have a sense of this. But if it’s not, it may take time for the devata value to become clear.

Another reason it can take time is karma. If we have a lot of unfolding dramas, the complexity of events can obscure the processes in play. But as we begin to wind down and simplify, the process gets much clearer.

In time we discover that everything happening around us is being guided. There are universal laws or principles that lead to erosion, the growth of plants, digestion, thoughts, music, and so forth. These principles are then applied through hierarchies of doers, coming right down to a very local focus. This bed of plants, this mind, that life. Thus we experience a plant flowering, thoughts happening here, an event happening there, and so forth.

The fascinating part is that these laws are not confined to any form as noted above. They can take whatever form is needed to express a result in a certain place and time. In other words, they may appear as an event rather than a being. As the jam falling awkwardly off your spoon, for example.

You’ll find you resonate with and emphasize certain laws of nature more than others. For example, we may have musical or mathematical abilities or have an affinity with the wilderness. Our challenges and our affinities lead to those areas of life we support the most.

As we become more conscious of these dynamics, the laws become perceived. This enlivens their abilities, and that enhances our support. As we become more awake, we help to awaken those laws we recognize.

The laws of nature express the process of experiencing. They evolve through experiencing so when we bring awake experiencing to their table, we help awaken them too.

As I’ve mentioned recently, the process of experience is the process of creation. As we awaken the process of experience through awake experiences, we also awaken creation, the forms of experience.

The awakening process isn’t about a person. It awakens everything.

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Appearance of the Doers

1. Sohlea Rico says:

Thanks David, so useful here.

2. Judy says:

Hi David,

I’m hoping you can shed some light on this. Age and experience has shown me that these days I definitely feel like I’m being guided. A sense of gratefulness persists; however, there’s an opposite dynamic that continues to cause suffering on almost a daily basis. I try to understand how I could have made such stupid, ego-based decisions in my younger days during a period of life where I should have known better. It provokes guilt and a lack of self-trust, along with anxiety/depression, though I feel I’m no longer that person or have any inclination to act that way anymore.

It’s like the ego has clung onto this as a way of keeping its sense of self going. Otherwise, life would be quite content. I’m continuing to read your blogs but thought I’d ask now anyway.

Hi Judy
      Yes, there is a deeper flow of life itself, guiding the hands, so to speak. And supporting right direction.
      However, there is also karma unfolding, unfinished business coming up to be seen and resolved. Old habits of mind and reactivity cause automatic responses. We act out in old, unconscious ways.
      Blaming ourselves doesn’t help. That you’re noticing after the fact is the first step in their resolution. The second step is when you notice while the behavior is underway. You begin to have some choice but messiness may already have happened. Finally, we begin to notice as the first impulse of reactivity arises and can chose not to engage it.
      This takes time to change the habits of lifetimes. Patience helps. It is very valuable to be seeing but not valuable to beat ourselves up over it. Just deeper noticing. Gratitude is also valuable as it helps shift the tone.
      Note that karma comes from how we used to be. It doesn’t reflect who we are now.
      Its good to recognize that arising emotions are natural. It may be a response to events or purification. Noticing them and allowing them to complete without engaging or resisting them too much is the ideal.
      And yes, ego is the controller and is fearful of being seen or losing control. Just allow it to be that way too as it’s nature. It will make little dramas but if we learn its just old noise, we take it less seriously. The grip loosens.
      As you see the dynamics then see through them, you set the stage for going beyond them.
      🙂

3. Judy says:

David, thank you for your reply.

Sorry if this sounds dense, but I want to understand this thoroughly. Are you saying then, that the past comes up to haunt me because even though I no longer act out those behaviors, the patterns or tendencies that caused me to act that way are still here presently, so that’s what I have to see and let go of in order to let go of the past? For instance, lack of self-love or self-confidence still comes up and I can see where that would have caused me to act out in certain ways in my younger days.

Not at all, Judy. These are important but sometimes subtle points.
      It’s more that the consequences or unfinished business of the past less conscious acts are showing up in the present to be resolved. They reflect your past. How you respond to resolve (or entrench) them tells you how you are now.
      Lack of self-love etc is more a habit from past experiences and incomplete knowledge than a consequence. As understanding grows, your habits are seen more clearly and we start to see through those stories. When they are no longer accepted, they fall away.
      If they’re not falling away, then something is still buying into them. For example, missing self-confidence can be an excuse for not doing things we’re afraid of doing. Rather than step into a vulnerable position, we run the story of no self-confidence and we can avoid the fear.
      Most people have lots of work-arounds that are ways of avoiding what we don’t want. Yet they often get in the way of what we want more deeply, not to mention what life is asking us.
      Gradually, as we face life the way its showing up, the noise falls away and life gets a lot clearer.
      Make sense?

4. Judy says:

Wow, I guess I had that backwards. So these painful thoughts and feelings that come up are not a consequence, but ingrained habits to let go of. I know when I’m not buying into them, that’s when gratefulness takes over. As far as unfinished business from the past, yes, that has shown up too and in the most ironic and sometimes actually humorous ways. Thankfully, I’m handling that quite differently these days.

I think I understand, but I’m continuing to read your blogs. Thanks for all your help, David, by having this information out there and being there to answer!

Hi Judy
      it’s a little more complex than that. Karma isn’t just life events. It means action or energy. Thoughts and emotions also have consequences.
      The key is do the thoughts and emotions get processed and complete? Or do we resist and grasp at them, causing them not to. In that case, they “hang around” waiting for an opportunity to come up again and complete.
      Thus painful thoughts and feelings come up from old consequences seeking resolution. Then old habits of mind rejecting, etc those thoughts or memories arise, get in the way and so forth.
      It’s a huge step forward when you can see the dynamics and just allow them to arise and complete, not buying into them anymore. You’ve stopped feeding the beast of suffering.
      But it does take time to wind it all down. And when the opportunity is finally there for old suffering to be resolved, it can rush forward to be seen.
      We’re actually in a time right now that for many will make this more prominent. You’re fortunate to have some perspective.
      It is a somewhat different worldview. It takes time to get to know our inner habits. And some of this isn’t about understanding, it’s about feeling. It’s very helpful to have decent understanding of your experiences but thinking about it doesn’t heal anything. Thats a feeling process. 🙂

5. Judy says:

David,

OK, makes sense. I’ll continue to read the blogs too. Thanks again.