Melting the Body

I spoke recently about liberating the person. This is a stage well after we have liberated the soul and woken up to our universal nature. As we grow into our universal nature, there is an unfolding embodiment, a descent of the divine into form. How effective that is depends on how able we are to support it. What that means varies some by person.

We gradually come to see the body as cosmic. As that becomes progressively embodied and the physiology gradually adapts to sustaining that presence, we find a refinement even of the surface physical form.

The inner purity or clarity required for awakening gradually moves forward into the physical. Not from diet or posture or attitude but from divinity itself.

Lorne Hoff used the analogy of an iceberg. Awakening is like an iceberg breaking off the glacier of ignorance. The iceberg then floats in the ocean of being. Over time, it gradually melts and merges with being.

This is liberation on the level of the body itself. The body would become known as nothing but an appearance of light. The mechanics of its expression (the cosmic devata) have become known. As they recreate in every moment, we would have full control over its presence and appearance.

Beings who have reached this level of liberation are still very rare and certainly don’t include myself. Getting this far along while still in a body is exceptional. But there are a few stories like Babaji, the founder of Yogananda’s tradition. (he shows up in several traditions)

In some ways, full enlightenment is giving us the ground on which a true embodiment can unfold.

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Melting the Body

1. Jim says:

Yes, Brahman begins in fetal form – lol. As we melt ourselves into the ocean, a new totality is formed, Brahman, infinity of infinities, seamless.

But it grows too from its own light, just as the flicker of transcendent light began within us to first bring us over from darkness.

Then, just as the light became still within us in cosmic consciousness, revealed the worlds closest to it with god consciousness, then blossomed into radiance with unity consciousness, the light is then infinite with Brahman, in every direction of time and space, in every crevice and horizon of awareness itself, inside and out, personal, impersonal, trans-personal, and ex-personal.

This means that the previous investigation for Reality as this or that can no longer find a center, because greater than the infinite power and scope of the most comprehensive singularity previously identified, is simply everywhere. And Brahman is greater than the sum of its parts, ad infinitum.

This then, is the starting point for Brahman, melted fully into the ocean, a new totality.

And like every other being, at any point in evolution, new possibilities will become available as we grow, through surrender, into our new infancy, and beyond.

As such a journey has typically been spoken of from the standpoint of ascetic sages and seers, it is breaking new ground to do so as ‘house-holders’; regular kebabs. That is the most fun of all. 🙂

Well described, Jim. Agreed on the starting point but the particular emphasis of this post is not just the melting of consciousness into Brahman but the melting of the body into that light as well.

But yes, there has been that emphasis on ascetics for some time. And yes, much more fun to do it in the world.

This evening after satsang, several awake friends where discussing good steaks, kebabs included. (laughs)

2. Jim says:

Thank you – Yes, agreed, and the body is consciousness, therefore it and its surroundings will reflect the ripening of infinity, including the attendant services of whatever consciousness we find ourselves composed of.

I found a somewhat crude introduction of this occurring vis a vis light during my practice years ago of the TM-Siddhis flying technique. Body into light and back into solid form, though I was busy with other things and didn’t investigate the mechanics further.

Good example, Jim. In one state, able to do things a “solid” body cannot. In another, the usual. I had a number of experiences along those lines with the flying sutra.

Invincibility was the more noticeable, like when I hit cement walls or ceiling. Absent if I tried to manipulate or show off. (laughs)

3. Jim says:

Yes, it was amazing how hard I could crack heads with someone when flying and never feel a thing except that an impact had occurred. Other times my radar would catch a wall or other hard surface before I hit, and I would just stop and drop.

I have been thinking about how such phenomena may manifest more completely later on as consciousness continues to clear, similar to what you wrote already. The thing is, this time around, my diligence for such things is completely gone, replaced by simply watch and wait curiosity. Very much a case of the desire is there, and it will happen when it happens.

Yes – there is a broad sense of where it’s going but that’s all we need. Expectations and supposed to’s just get in the way of enjoying and sometimes the process itself.

What does show up is often way better than anything I could think of anyway. 🙂

4. Davidya, I didn’t know that Babaji has shown up in different traditions.

Have you written any posts about this? Or might you?

In any case, thank you for another fascinating screen o’ inspiration. 🙂
    I recently posted…Loving Face Reading. A Guest Post by Portia ChanMy Profile

Hi Rose
    No, I haven’t. I read some of the stories a few decades ago.

SRF themselves say he indicated he gave Yoga initiation to Shankara and Kabir prior to teaching Kriya Yoga to Yogananda’s masters master. Of course, teachings do like to raise their originators up. But I do recall seeing stories about him from other traditions.