On Soma

Soma or Amrita is a subject I’ve noted here a number of times. On a discussion elsewhere on refinement, the topic came up and I was asked to describe it. I thought the comments were useful to share here, edited slightly for context.

Soma is a rather large subject. From an Ayurvedic perspective, digestion (mental, emotional and physical) goes through a series of 8 progressive refinements. The finest product of digestion, assuming there is sufficient refinement to support it, is ojas. Ojas helps refine the body, especially the skin. It also helps support soma.

Soma is produced by a subtle non-physical gland in the head. We’re most likely to first experience it as a sweet taste in the back of the throat. Soma massively enhances the refinement process, the smoothing of the physiology to better reflect finer values of existence.

A key detail about soma is that it’s also called Amrita. Amrita means nectar of the gods. The basic idea is that soma massively increases the support you get from nature and the environment. We offer a bonus incentive. It’s presence attracts more powerful beings to support our life and growth. This doesn’t mean we avoid the unfolding karma but the way is made more smooth. The “life is a struggle” thing falls away.

The famed “fountain of youth” that was sought in days of yore is not a physical place. It’s inside you. The above is the mechanism by which people lived a great deal longer in higher ages, smoothing the edges off life experiences.

There is a great deal of old writing on the subject, including an entire mandala of the Rig Veda (the 9th is also called the “soma mandala”). But it’s so badly misunderstood today that there are large academic texts trying to prove it was a hallucinogenic mushroom and the Vedic sages were on acid trips rather than exploring subtle realities.

What triggers the production of soma? Transcendence aka connection with pure consciousness. More specifically, contact with the bliss body which we get to just before consciousness. This is also the layer people refer to as pranava or The Word or Om (more correctly Aum). It’s also called ritam bhara pragyan, that consciousness which accepts only truth.

Thus techniques that trigger transcendence and connection to source will trigger soma. But this is only if enough purification has already occurred for that process to flow. And the technique is effortless and skilled enough that it doesn’t take us into the mud in the process.

With more purification and refinement, soma itself becomes more obvious and refinement accelerates. But diet, lifestyle and other factors may support or hinder it.

Someone who is awake produces it all the time to some degree, which is another aspect of why development speeds up and the divine is able to come through.

The enlivenment of the bliss body of course brings happiness for no reason. Lively divinity. When the body is refined enough to handle it, it becomes ongoing. Then, as development progresses, it periodically steps up a notch. Sometimes, this can come on in an almost overwhelming blast or rapture. But then it quickly becomes the new normal. Until the next one. The Upanishads describe each step as 100x the prior.

Out of bliss beings are born,
In bliss they are sustained,
And to bliss they go and merge again.
— Taittiriya Upanishad 3.6.1

The astonishing thing then becomes – human suffering. How is it possible when our very life is literally the flow of limitless happiness? The answer comes down to where we are. Earth means density, descending into the thick of things. And then bringing consciousness into that so we can raise it up.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to On Soma

1. Brilliant writing. Up to your standard, Davidya. Thanks for this latest article.
    I recently posted…How Wise Is It to Speculate About Past Lives?My Profile

Thanks, Rose. And thanks for sharing it.
    I recently posted…On SomaMy Profile

3. Jim Flanegin says:

this brought up a funny memory of when I used to do TM in a group, on work/study for my sidhis course. I recall mentioning to the TM teacher that after meditating I often got a sweet taste in the back of my mouth, around my salivary glands beneath the tongue. Back then, 1979, it was ascribed to “something good is happening”.

Something very good. 😉
    Thanks, Jim
    I recently posted…On SomaMy Profile

5. michael says:

Hi!
    Just last Night it was “driping” down from the roof of my mouth again. Bringing feelings of relaxation and divine joy.

Much love
    Michael

Hi Michael
    On a recent retreat it was noted that, due to the connection with bliss, when you’re experiencing bliss (happy for no reason), you’re also producing some quality of soma.

Back of the throat is the most obvious directly though. Some notice its effect in the gut too but that usually requires more refine perception.
    I recently posted…100x the BlissMy Profile

This also ties into a prior post where Lucia tells us that after awakening it becomes our duty to enjoy. Several reasons for that – one is the refinement soma brings. Another is the now more powerful attention needs to be directed in healthy ways until bliss is more established so we don’t create new struggles unintentionally.

I recently posted…100x the BlissMy Profile

8. michael says:

IT has been constantly going on for 48 Hour now and when I shift my Focus on IT IT seems to increase in production…and also Lots of bloß
    🙂

9. Michael Jaksch says:

Oh and it is not the roof of my mouth it is through the soft spot behind it. And it seems that Every drop increases the joy’ bliss and peace……and today is the funeral of my grandma……i hope i can contain myself.

Right, Michael. The soft area at the back of the throat, behind the roof of the mouth is where it drips down.

Yes, it can be awkward when the bliss is great and the social conventions suggest we be unhappy. But death should be celebrated, the completion of a journey and a remembrance. Certainly it’s natural to feel some grief also but placed in a larger context, it is a transition not an ending.

And yes, what you put your attention on grows stronger. Things like this illustrate it.

Just keep in mind this is an experience. It will end subjectively for various reasons, including stronger purification. But it has blessed your physiology and the nature around you.